MakerSpace Digital Badges
The Digital Design badge is awarded to NYU Affiliates who complete a series of technical workshops that provide them with the foundational skills of design using leading industry standard software. Design skills are supplemented by hands-on workshops on the Design Thinking process, including design research, concept development, iteration, editing, and how to talk about their work.
Design and Innovation Studio (minimum 3):
Participants learn how user research goes beyond usability testing and gain hands-on experience with methods that get to the heart of users' needs. You will learn the do's and don'ts of forming a solid research foundation, cover real-world case studies, and role-play in a mock study to gain hands-on experience.
Participants focus on the fundamentals of ideation and cover the process of generating new ideas to solve problems that have been identified through research. You will learn the best practices of ideation, how to step beyond ordinary solutions, and participate in a series of creative exercises to gain hands-on experience.
Learn what a concise portfolio needs, the importance of creating a portfolio as part of the job application process, and how to market yourself to potential employers and clients using design thinking strategies. You will have the opportunity to develop an element of your own portfolio using the techniques from the workshop.
Participants learn the fundamentals of rapid prototyping and cover the process of making products with the consumer in mind. You will learn the best practices of prototyping, view physical and digital product development samples, and examine each through prototyping techniques.
Participants learn the best practices for designing an efficient yet practical user experience across various platforms. You will have the opportunity to apply what you have learned using real life examples.
Participants learn the art of storytelling as an essential tool in design practice. Through a series of creative exercises, you will practice your storytelling abilities as a resource that can be used in interviews, presentations, and more!
Technical/Creative Workshops (minimum 2):
Participants learn the Adobe Illustrator interface, drawing vector shapes, adding polished typography, and other essential skills to design a project of their own. You will implement these skills and have the opportunity to design a project of your own using the software.
Looking to sharpen your Illustrator skills for graphics and prototyping? Learn how to design a custom name graphic that can be used in the vinyl cutter, along with tips, tricks, and a deep dive into technical concepts.
Participants learn the basics of Figma, a cloud-based design tool. Get to know the Figma interface and learn how to create UX prototypes for websites and mobile apps. There will be a hands on component that gives participants the practice they need to start using Figma for their own projects, from rapid prototyping to final designs.
Learn the basics of HTML and CSS by coding a simple portfolio from scratch!
Participants learn about the exposure triangle, how to use a DSLR, modifying camera settings, and basic rules of composition in photography. You will have the opportunity to practice what you have learned by participating in a light discussion and analyzing sample photographs.
Participants learn the Adobe Photoshop interface and fundamental tools such as layers, masks, blend modes, and adjustments that are needed to create a design. You will implement these skills and have the opportunity to design a project of your own using the software.
Participants learn the basic features of iOS app development such as how to design their first application, structuring an iOS app, and adding user interactions. This workshop will provide you with an introductory skillset as a developer that many companies are looking for as well as additional resources and tools to help with future projects.
How do I get this badge?
To begin the badging process, choose which workshops and trainings you would like to attend from the list above. To sign up for a workshop, visit our Events Page. To sign up for a training, visit our Training and Reservations Page.
- Learn: Complete the required number of workshops and trainings listed under each badge based on your interests.
- Claim: Once you have completed the requirements for the desired badge, fill out and submit the Completed Badge Application.
- Approve: Our team will review your application and determine whether you are eligible to receive the badge.
- Share: Once approved, we will send you a digital certification package that includes everything you need to share your achievement and new skills including the badge icon and text for your resume, portfolio, and LinkedIn.
- Certify: To validate your certification and ensure compliance with our badging procedure, successful badge recipients will have their name displayed below in our 'Certified Badge Holders' section as well as on each page for the badge they have received.
Badging Rules & Expectations
- Claiming Badges: You have one full school year (i.e. Fall 2021 - Spring 2022) to claim a badge.
- Workshops: To qualify for a desired badge, you must have attended the required workshops during the current school year (i.e. Fall 2021 - Spring 2022).
- Trainings: MakerSpace machine trainings are valid for 4 years.
- Not Interchangeable: Workshops and trainings are not interchangeable. You must attend a different set of trainings and workshops for each badge (i.e. if you attended Intro to Illustrator and used it to claim the Product Design badge, you cannot also use it towards Digital Design. You must attend another workshop. Same goes for machine trainings).
Certified Digital Design Badge Holders